Workforce and Training
The MRC de Memphrémagog has a competent and bilingual labor force. In fact, in 2011, statistics showed English as being the mother tongue for 15% of the population with nearly 44% of the workforce being bilingual.
In terms of the available manpower within the region, the data gathered in June 2014 indicates a total of 166 400 people available with 13 000 of them receiving unemployment insurance (includes Sherbrooke area). This represents an unemployment rate of 7.8%. In recent years, much effort has been expended throughout the territory of the MRC to provide manpower which corresponds to the needs of the companies willing to establish themselves within our territory.
A Complete Educational System in Both Official Languages
Memphrémagog lies at the hub of a comprehensive, multilevel educational system offered in both of Canada's official languages.
- Universities: Sherbrooke and Bishop’s
- Colleges: Cegep de Sherbrooke, Champlain Regional College, Séminaire de Sherbrooke, Cegep de Granby
- Seven vocational-training centers
- System of high schools under the Commission Scolaire des Sommets (school board), including Polyvalente La Ruche de Magog (high school)
- Collège de l’Estrie (private college)
- French and English-speaking elementary schools
- Institut Desgraff (video-game design)
- Eight adult-education centers
- Private schools: Collège des Servites, Stanstead College, Séminaire Salésien, Séminaire de Sherbrooke, École Mont Notre-Dame
Highlight on Multilingualism
Because of the University of Sherbrooke and Bishop’s University, employers have access to human resources from around the world, which is a definite asset in developing international markets.
A Training Center unlike any Other in Quebec
Magog is fortunate to have the Centre Intégré de Formation Industrielle (integrated center for industrial training or CIFI) in its industrial park. The CIFI is the only facility in Quebec that provides tailored training of qualified staff for businesses in the elastomer and composite-material industry.
This multipurpose center has cutting-edge equipment and facilities dedicated for delivering tailored training in the areas of composite materials (carbon fiber, glass fiber, Kevlar®), rubber and plastics processing, and the fabrication of molds and dies. CIFI can rapidly train highly qualified individuals whose quality of work has gained recognition throughout the entire industry.